CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCE COP26
A seminar on how to co-design a community carbon project in Honduras
The effect of planting trees in developing countries as well as carbon offset as a mechanism is continuously being discussed and sometimes questioned. Are companies buying themselves free? Is there a risk for land-grabbing? At the same time, there is an intensified debate about the need for negative emissions and natural climate solutions in order to reach the 1,5°C target. Without removals such as tree planting, reaching net zero emissions at 2050 is simply not possible.
What constitutes a “good nature based climate offset project”? When trying to produce as much offset credits as possible, often you find offset projects that occupy land when it could be put to better use, addressing needs of local markets and populations. Land use projects must be useful for the local context. In Honduras there is great poverty and an unequal power balance. In this live seminar, we are proposing a co-designing carbon offset model to finance tree planting in Honduras with small-holders where a collective group of stakeholders that are involved in implementing the design share their experiences.
- Johanna Grant, Climate strategist at ZeroMission
- Kaj Török, Chief Sustainability Officer at MAX Burgers
- Keith Bohannon, CEO at Plan Vivo Foundation
- Neil Powell, Professor at Uppsala University, Swedish Centre of Education for Sustainable Development
- Magnus Bergström, CEO at Paskaia
- Klara Fischer, Researcher, rural development at Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Marvin Rodríguez, Forest Engineer Reforestation manager, at Paskaia SA, Honduras
- Ranulfo Andares, Presidente, MASTA
- Hector Lagos, Coordinador Programa Nacional de Reforestación, ICF
The seminar is moderated by Claire Wigg, CEO at ZeroMission
This seminar is part of the ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) set of seminars during COP26. In order to participate you will first need to register here. You then scroll through the dates to find November 11th where this seminar is posted. By clicking the calendar icon you can add the seminar to your calendar and that will also give you a link to join it. This is a bit more complicated than our regular seminars but it’s quite manageable.
We will also record the seminar and share it afterwards so follow our channels!